Photographing a tornado is dangerous business. In this video, outdoor photographer Doug Gardner relies on storm chaser Brian Barnes to drive him through rain, wind, and hail in order to capture a dramatic tornado as it funnels across the ground. Brian carries a computer on his dashboard and relies on radar and the National Weather Service to scout for a storm cell. Once Doug and Brian spot a tornado, there is no time for tripods. They jump out of the van and shoot handheld as the tornado moves closer. But it was all worth it. Their images of the tornado are stunning.
See all videos in our Storm Chasing in Photography Course:
- Storm Chasing in Photography – Course Preview
- Photographing Storms: Learn the Basics
- Photographing Lightning: Tips and Techniques
- Chasing and Photographing the Storm
- Chasing and Photographing a Tornado